One work around for Management Portal Issues. ESB 2.1 Part 1 – Access is Denied
Function: GetConfigInfo (SSOProperties)
Tracking ID: 02e78f85-cfa0-41fb-83fd-d1077521108f
Client Computer: IRDEV (w3wp.exe:4128)
Client User: WORKGROUPIRDEV$
Application Name: ESB.instrumentationConfiguration
Error Code: 0x80070005, Access is denied.
I went and tried to open up the main homepage for the ESB 2.1 Management Portal and low and behold it didn’t work.
Though up to this point I had been winging it with the guide and search engines, so I had to rethink many of the prevous installation steps.
I found that my application log was litered with 1 single call.
Low and behold there were access errors, and after a long day of creating different log ins and trying to keep track of this I knew this wasn’t going to be a 5 minute fix.
This was my first attempt
I set the Server and ServerAll to my PC Name
ssomanage -serverall IRDEV
ssomanage -server IRDEV
Though, as seen in yesterdays blog I did this yesterday as well, but hey the . was back for my local user which was the user I had used for many of the configuration settings.
Though that wasnt the problem
So I went into the Application Pools and changed the Application Pool:EsbPortalNetworkAppPool
Set that user with proper permission (which I am assuming is an SSO Administrator)
My Main user was an SSO Admin.
This only left me with a "Application does not exist," which I covered in the previous post.